looking for good shell programming books?

netmask netmask at enZotech.net
Thu Aug 12 21:18:45 UTC 2004

>  third:  good shell programming books?  frankly, i haven't found any. and
> i'm still looking for one to use as a student text in a shell programming
> class.  so far, i use my own manual and include the POSIX standards as a
> printed supplement.  but i'd still like to find a decent book, ideally
> POSIX-oriented.

I got the most value out of the first edition of Stephen Kochans and Patrick
Wood's  "unix Shell programming".

I have the 3rd edition now, which i sometimes reference when im using utils I
dont typically use and have long since forgotten the exact syntax. (When I
have either not installed the MAN pages.. or just dont feel like using google)

It's also the first gift I give to clients or co-workers who are stuck in the
world of windows and want to "use" linux..  Instead of trying to import all of
their data to excel and use the crappy sorting and processing functions
there.. they quickly realize the power of bourne and its friendly gnu utils. I
call it the 'gift of efficiency'

Anyway. the book is really good for what it is, its 30 bucks at borders for
the 3rd edition.. it covers all of the normal gnu utils, bash, scripting, and
a little tiny bit of sed/awk.. the basics that you need. I've never had
someone read it and not understand it, and not gain a plethora of information
from it.

The book is very easy to read.. its still good for reference. I highly
recommend it.