Read After Write

Nifty Hat Mitch mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 13 07:18:25 UTC 2004

On Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 04:56:33PM -0500, Bill Gradwohl wrote:

> When a DVD or CD is burned using cdrecord, is the media checked via read
> after write?
>
> Is the application (cdrecord) responsible for read after write; is the
> operating system/driver responsible for checking that what was supposed
> to get to the media in fact actually made it; is anything responsible
> for this?
>
> If I burn a CD or DVD, should I run a comparison after the fact or is
> that a waste of time?

Backups should be done in a way that you know, understand and can verify.
So yes check them.

At some point you will find that you never find and error and think
about stopping.

And as soon as you stop checking there will be an error ;-) If you get
good results, you may elect to spot check 5%.  10% ...  of your
backups.  Always check after a kernel or tool (including libraries)
update.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	Just say no to 74LS73 in 2004