Firewire missing in FC2 SMP kernel 2.6.7-1.494.2.2

Rick Johnson rjohnson at medata.com
Fri Aug 13 17:46:14 UTC 2004

James Lehmer wrote:
> (Copying you directly, Rick, because my last post on DVD writers to the
> list got dropped somehow.)
>
>> From: Rick Johnson <rjohnson at medata.com>
>> Subject: Firewire missing in FC2 SMP kernel 2.6.7-1.494.2.2
>> To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>
>>
>> Went to mount my trusty firewire peerless on a machine I don't use too
>> often and noticed that the firewire modules were missing in the SMP
>> kernel. Was this an oversight of the kernel maintainer or is firewire
>> broken with SMP?
>

> See excellent write up at
> http://www.ic.unicamp.br/~oliva/snapshots/FC2-firewire/0README
>
> I had to build the module for SMP myself, following the instructions
> under section #3 in the above doc, and it just worked (I am using an el
> cheapo Belkin i.Link PCI card).

Thanks - looks like building myself is the solution. For now, my lazy
workaround has been to boot the non-smp kernel when I needed to access
firewire devices.

I'm using an Adaptec firewire card, and will post any problems if
encountered.

Any speculation on whether this will be fixed by FC3 and subsequently RHEL4?

-Rick
Rick Johnson, RHCE #807302311706007 - rjohnson at medata.com
Linux/Network Administrator - Medata, Inc.