vsftpd quirkiness

Roy W. Erickson erickson at pixelmagicfx.com
Sat Aug 14 00:21:51 UTC 2004

All,

Today I upgraded my FC2 (now at kernel 2.6.7-1.494.2.2smp). I then went
to test out the vsftpd server (default versions delived by Fedora
installations and upgrades) I have running on it and I had a few
problems that did not seem to be present when I installed the machine
new + upgrade 1 month ago (kernel 2.2.6-1.494.2.2).

The first post-upgrade transfer of 53 MB file size, from an XP client
(smartftp) to the server, ran at 'normal' speeds (4700KB/s). The next
transfer, also in the same direction, slowed to a crawl of about
22KB/sec. Nothing transfered at any speed after that!

I rebooted the server, made sure i turned off iptables, and tried again.
Same thing but even the first attempt was slow. I noticed I could get
stuff off the server (opposite direction) at the normal rates.

Booted to kernel 2.6.7-1.494.2.2 (non smp) and the same thing.

Booted to kernel 2.6.6-1.494.2.2 (smp?) and things seemed back to
normal.

Any thoughts? Any one else see this?

Was there a vsftpd version upgrade recently?

Thanks
--
Roy