find in conjuction with grep

cs at zip.com.au cs at zip.com.au
Sat Aug 14 08:40:47 UTC 2004

On 08:35 13 Aug 2004, Kevin Wang <rightsock at gmail.com> wrote:
| On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 14:49:15 +1000, Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au> wrote:
| > | find . -exec grep "string" {}
| > | what happens when you have a filename with a space in it?
| > | quotes?
| > | double quotes?
| >
| > Nothing. No quoting is needed _at_all_! because the shell is not involved in
| > passing the filename to grep.
|
| for gnu find, that does appear to be true.  It's unfortunately not
| true of all versions of find.  this behaviour is new to me.

I think you're very very mistaken. I have NEVER used a find which goes via
the shell and I doubt anyone would be silly enough to implement one, and
I've used find on many UNIX platforms. Have you a specific counterexample?

| > A larger issue is that you're doing things as root without knowing how
| > they work.
|
| Which describes most people in this world.  I for one, have no clue
| what cups does under the covers [...] It's impossible to be an expert on
| everything, [...]

True enough. But passing around misinformation is worse.
Still, I overflamed. Sorry. Cheers,
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

Admit Nothing.  Blame Everyone.  Be Bitter.
        - Matt Hopkins, DoD #1197, <matt at crawfish.math.tulane.edu>