problem with usbkey

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Sat Aug 14 16:51:27 UTC 2004

On Sat, Aug 14, 2004 at 05:29:03PM +0200, Adam Antoniak wrote:
> Hello folks!
> I have a problem with my usbkey. It gets mounted but unmounting is a real
> nightmare. Whenever I try running umound command I get message "device
> busy".

Check to be sure you don't have any files open on the device, no file
browsers open to a directory on it, and no xterm sessions with a
current working directory on it.

Have you checked the "Working devices list" at
http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/ to see if there are any known problems
with it?

Also, 2.6 kernels (FC2) have problems with USB where later 2.4 did
not. Have you tried your device with a recent 2.4 kernel?

> The device has its internal battery that gets charged while
> connected to usb port. May that have something to do with it?

This is an unusual USB key device. I thought most, if not all, USB key
devices were non-volatile RAM and required no battery.