(newbie) sendmail Masquerading Help?

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Sat Aug 14 16:53:51 UTC 2004

Am Sa, den 14.08.2004 schrieb Jorge Luis um 18:18:

> I'm just getting started with Fedora and would like to get some help
> from the list with sendmail (v8.12).  I've Googled groups, and gone
> through the sendmail docs, without finding--or probably without
> recognizing--an answer.
>
> My ISP (Verizon) requires SMTP-AUTH (user/password PLAIN) to connect
> to its smarthost.  I have the authorization set up, and I'm trying now
> to configure sendmail masquerading.

Masquerading for what? verizon.net is hardly your domain.

> Currently, mail sent from Evolution is passed to sendmail and then
> accepted for delivery by the smarthost, even when I configure my
> address to some other (non-Verizon) domain.  Mail sent using
> /bin/mail, however, bounces off the smarthost with this error:
>
> Diagnostic-Code: SMTP; 553 Authentication is required to send mail as
> <jorge at verizon.net>

What happens if you send by using following command - not as root!:

date | /usr/lib/sendmail -v friends_email at anywhere.com

> jorge is my local login, not my login name on the smarthost.  (I have
> an AuthInfo line in /etc/mail/access with my smarthost login and
> password; it works fine for mail passed in by Evolution.)

Sounds correct.

> How can I set up masquerading so it does what Evolution seems to do by
> rewriting the (envelope?) address using sendmail's -f option?  Right
> now, I have the following in /etc/mail/sendmail.mc

sendmail -f is only used if you configured Evolution to use sendmail for
sending rather than using SMTP.

> 	  MASQUERADE_AS(`verizon.net')dnl
> 	  FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)dnl
> 	  FEATURE(masquerade_entire_domain)dnl
> 	  MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(localhost)dnl
> 	  MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(localhost.localdomain)dnl
> 	  MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(verizon.net)dnl

Though verizon.net is not your domain and masquerading using it hardly
makes sense, these masq entries are correct. jorge.cc seems to be your
domain, so masquerading to that domain would make sense.

What is the output of:

/usr/lib/sendmail -bt -d0.9 < /dev/null

>     Jorge

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) kernel 2.6.7-1.494.2.2smp
Serendipity 18:44:07 up 10 days, 12:11, load average: 0.17, 0.18, 0.28