upgrading between versions using apt

Samuel Sieb samuel at sieb.net
Sun Aug 15 00:07:16 UTC 2004

Is it possible to upgrade between full versions using apt?  For example
from FC1 to FC2.  It upgraded most packages, although I had to do a lot
of them in small chunks.  But now it's at a stage where it wants to
delete a lot of necessary packages, including both installed kernels.
I've tried this on several computers and on the one I really needed to
be fully operational, I gave up and used the cd's to do a proper upgrade
which worked just fine.  What does the installer do that just upgrading
the packages using apt can not do?