I can't get into Linux.

Shelagh Manton oneida at tpg.com.au
Sun Aug 15 01:55:34 UTC 2004

I'm back on Windows (bother!) again. I've done something and I can't log
into the Gnome desktop.
The log in procedure goes well until I get to the log in page. Then I get a
message saying that it can't open
/usr/share/gdm/themes/Bluecurve/Bluecurve.xml.
I opened one of the other terminals (ctrl-alt-f1) and looked for the file.
It is still there. But cd /usr/share/gdm/themes/Bluecurve complains that
Bluecurve is not a directory. Using vi on it tells me that Bluecurve is a
directory and that it includes Bluecurve.xml. I did open Bluecurve.xml with
vi and while I could not tell if anything was wrong with it, it had text in
it which seemed OK. Eg not scrambled text. I looked at the file permissions
and nothing obviously stupid there eg root owns it and drwxr-x--x (this is
approximate as I forgot to write it down). Where should I go from here?

Shelagh