pop3/imap server - possibly stupid question

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Sun Aug 15 15:24:02 UTC 2004

Am So, den 15.08.2004 schrieb Samuel Sieb um 9:20:

> Not entirely misleading.  Yes, you can send mail to root, but root may
> not get it. :-)  I've only been using postfix, not sendmail, so that is
> why my answer may have appeared misleading.  Here is a quote from the
> postfix aliases file:
>
> # For various security reasons, postfix WILL NOT deliver mail as root, so
> # ensure that the root alias is aliased to a HUMAN user, as otherwise
> # mail may get delivered to the $default_privs user (nobody).

Ok Samuel, this default setup of Postfix is new to me. Thanks for
pointing this out. I will have to read the Postfix documentation to
understand the "various security reasons". I just wonder why the write
"deliver mail _as_ root" and not "deliver mail _to_ root". I will read
about that as I am much more familiar with Sendmail.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) kernel 2.6.7-1.494.2.2smp
Serendipity 17:20:19 up 11 days, 10:48, load average: 0.03, 0.20, 0.22