The Best ADSL Modem?

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sun Aug 15 17:16:20 UTC 2004

regatta writes:

> Hi
>
> After more than 13 years of using dial-up to connect to Internet I am
> planning right now to use ADSL and I am searching right now for the
> best ADSL modem that support Linux very good.
>
> I don't need an expensive one , I want it to be fast modem and support Linux .
>
> I hope it doesn't support windows :)

Instead of searching for the right ADSL modem, you should be searching for
the right ADSL provider.

The right ADSL provider will give you an external ADSL modem with a standard
10Base-T port, and all you need to do is plug a cat-5 cable into the modem,
and any Linux-supported network card (of which there's no shortage of
choice).  You will also not required to screw around with PPPoE, or any
similar nonsense.

I recommend Speakeasy, after five years, and two different circuits.  They
are more expensive then the garden variety “here's some convoluted ADSL PCI
card, and here our XP-only drivers, loaded with spyware and other garbage”
ADSL providers.  If you call for technical support and tell them you run
Linux they will probably be able to help you; if not, they still won't react
as if you grew a third eye on your forehead.