argh! 'cdrecord --scanbus' hangs - "The drive appears confused"???

Sy Beamont sbeam at attbi.com
Sun Aug 15 18:49:52 UTC 2004

On Sunday 15 August 2004 12:30 pm, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> FC2 cdrecord doesn't really know anything about ATAPI devices, unless
> you explicitly specify dev=/dev/hdX, and then it still whines about
> it.

OK, thanks. I don't know what changed in FC2, I just know that this
machine has worked fine since RH7.2. Did the old ide-scsi stuff go
away? And why then the boot and log messages on this device in any
case?

I've discovered when I try to mount either the CD or the CD-RW, mount
exhibits the same behavior ("uninterruptable sleep"). Basically any
attempt to access /dev/hdc or /dev/hdd (the CD-ROM or CD-RW) results in
a hung process that can't be killed.