does fedora 2/3 support raid0 on sata drives?

Jim Higson jh at 333.org
Sun Aug 15 22:49:50 UTC 2004

On Sunday 15 August 2004 21:10, Louis Garcia wrote:
> > > I'm planning on getting a Dell PowerEdge 400sc or 700 for a file
>
> server.
>
> > > A promise sata card with several sata drives, probably WD or seagate.
> > > Can fedora use this setup in a raid0 config to serve maybe a terabyte
> > > of hd space through nfs and samba? Are their better sata card out
> > > there?
> >
> > You can setup Linux software RAID arrays during the installation
> > process. You want Raid0, so you don't care much about data security? You
> > then certainly have a huge backup on tape maybe.
> >
> > Alexander
>
> I believe some sata cards have hardware raid. Does linux support this or
> only software raid?

Most consumer 'hardware' RAID cards mostly implement the RAID in software,
similar to how winmodems mostly operate in software. Linux could support
these devices, but there isn't much point since it has perfectly good
software RAID already.

Unless you are paying a serious money for the controller (which I'd bet you're
not since you're doing RAID0) Linux software raid is fine.