Fedora Core 1 on Compaq M700 1GHz - Yenta hangs boot

J. Erik Hemdal ehemdal at townisp.com
Mon Aug 16 02:39:41 UTC 2004

> From: Mike Andrews <maaddr-fedora at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Fedora Core 1 on Compaq M700 1GHz - Yenta hangs boot

. . . .

> Yenta IRQ
> list 06b8 PCI irq 11
> Socket status: 30000006
>
> Yenta IRQ
> list 06b8 PCI irq 11
> Socket status: 30000006

Mike:  I get these messages on every boot, since day 1, on two different
laptops.  I never gave them a second thought because I never had a problem
with the PCMCIA slots.  I don't think they are errors, and if they are, I
hope someone will advise.  BTW, this shows up on RH8 and RH9 on my system.

I do know that on FC1, if you happen to have a card IN the slot (in my case
it would be a network card), then the boot will hang.  This issue has been
batted around with solutions having to do with BIOS updates.  The fix, from
what I recall of the postings, sounded worse than the problem, so I never
pursued it.

Is this what's going on?  If you successfully fsck the disk, I've never
known of a situation where the disk remains corrupted.  But you might have a
corrupted file from the yenta package (do an rpm search for yenta* to make
sure you get the name right).  Fsck will make the filesystem sound, but it
can trash individual files in the process.

Erik