File System Error

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Mon Aug 16 12:28:04 UTC 2004

Hiroyuki KOIKE wrote:
>  I'm using Fedora Core 2 as a server. But I have one problem.
> The server started up, and then few days later, I saw a below
> error message on the console.
>
> EXT3-fs error (device hda1) in start_transaction: Journal has aborted
> EXT3-fs error (device hda1) in start_transaction: Journal has aborted
> EXT3-fs error (device hda1) in start_transaction: Journal has aborted
>
> So I can't log in. That would be file system problem.
> Do you know how to solve this problem?

I hate to say this, but reboot. That looks as though it's your root
filesystem, and it needs a fsck. If that doesn't work, you may need
the rescue CD to get back into the system.

Once you get back in, if your disk supports SMART, use smartctl to
check it's not on the way out. You should probably do a memtest86 on the
memory, too.

HTH,

James.

--
E-mail address: james | Mike Andrews' Corollary to Murphy's Law:
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | In any sufficiently large collection of texts, every