Separate shell and www servers...

Ashley M. Kirchner ashley at pcraft.com
Mon Aug 16 17:28:49 UTC 2004

    I want to separate our web server from our shell server and put them
on separate machines.  Right now, each user has their own little web
folder under their home directory.  What's the best way to accomplish
this separation task?  Create one mountable partition, and have symlinks
to individual (user) folders with in that?

    With a mail spool, I was able to do that fairly easy, since
everyone's INBOX sits in the same location: /var/mail/ (or
/var/spool/mail/ if you want to be picky.)  I just used a different
server, installed NIS, and nfs mounted that server on the user server
and away it went.  But when dealing with several folders, each one
within a user directory, and having different permissions (per user,)
I'm scratching my head.

    Any brilliant ideas?