new to Fedora

Chris Jones linux at stow-jones.co.uk
Mon Aug 16 18:04:15 UTC 2004

Austin Isler wrote:

> akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 01:57:02PM +0000, Peter wrote:
>>

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Just new to Fedora and Redhat.
>>> I just install the minimal system without the graphical user interface.
>>>
>>> I like to proaam/setup with text command's
>>>
>>> What kind of commands are used in Fedora to configue the system and
>>> install pakages.
>>>
>>> I know rpm, but is there a way to point and shoot in the textmode?
>>>
>>> peter
>>>

>> Linux with out a graphical interface might just as well be called
>> extended DOS.
>>
>> Nothing stops you from using command line execution with the
>> graphical interface but you can do that in multiple windows and/or on
>> multiple machines at the same time with the graphical user interface.
>>
>> I should have added IMHO to that.
>>

> Extended DOS? DOS does not even compare to Linux. I should slap myself
> because putting DOS and Linux in the same sentence should be crime. I
> started my computer career using DOS 5 and I dont remember it
> containing the wealth of tools that Linux has. Mind you, I still use X
> for certain things but slowly I am migrating to bash only Linux usage.
> Maybe one day in the future I can get rid of X, but today is not that
> day.

I seem to remember back in the mists of time long lost that DOS 1.1 was
actually using very similar commands to unix (notably cd, mkdir, but
_not_ more or ls, for some reason best known to a certain W Gates who
apparently jointly wrote PC-DOS as it was then called).

Is that copyleft?

--
Chris Jones
mailto:chris at stow-jones.co.uk
SAS gives the power to know your data...