Fedora 2 on a Presario 2100 Laptop?

Marian POPESCU softexpert at libertysurf.fr
Mon Aug 16 19:35:11 UTC 2004

Olwe Melwasul wrote:

> Anybody have experience putting Fedora 2 on a Presario 2100 laptop? I
> found a link at http://clevershark.com that talks about F1, but
> apparently there's different issues between 2.4 and 2.6. The first big
> question is do I need to get Partition Magic to partition the drive
> (currently totally XPed--with weird Compaq proprietary stuff on it), or
> can Fedora handle the repartitioning...or perhaps Mandrake 10, as I
> heard a rumor?
>
> Olwe

Hi,

I installed successfully FC1 and FC2 on a Compaq Presario 2120EU.
I partitioned beforehand with Partition Magic (you can use Acronis as well).
One issue I had was with FC1, when i had to specify linux mem=256 at the
first boot prompt (CD1). Also it frose because of PCMCIA controller. You
might want to go directly to FC2.

With FC2 there was another issue: http://lwn.net/Articles/86835/ will
enlighten you. Briefly, make sure you specify disk geometry before booting
from CD1. It could save a LOT of trouble.
Read also http://www.fedorafaq.org/ and http://fedoranews.org/ to find
solutions to your eventual troubles (there should be none).

When partitioning your harddrive, it will be usefull to have at least a
separate partition for the /home directory. At next reinstall/upgrade you
will not have to back-up/restore everything (settings I mean ...).

When installing choose to use disk druid to format your partitions, because
there is a slight change in ext3fs that will make your system hick-up on
first boot (if partitions are formatted by PM or Acronis, it will try to
check for errors ant it will ... give an error = rebooting after that seems
to be fine).

Good luck and enjoy FC2 on your Presario!

P.S Go to HP's support site and check for BIOS updates as well ...

Marian