FC1 Install _appeared_ to work, BUT...

Razvan Corneliu C.R. VILT razvan.vilt at linux360.ro
Mon Aug 16 19:45:38 UTC 2004

Pa2U wrote:

> Greetings all
>
> I used to run RHL7.3, dual booting, on a Sony Vaio laptop.  When I
> tried to upgrade to FC1 I seemed to be successful except that quite a
> few apps and utils on the GUI did absolutely nothing when I clicked
> them.  When I tried to "fix" such anomalies by updating (via up2date)
> I really shot myself in the foot, it seems.  Things went from bad to
> worse so I tried to reinstall FC1 from the CDs (which check OK by
> media check).  Although that install went without hitch, bootup now
> ends up with only a mouse pointer on a blank screen.  The pointer
> moves, over the entire screen, at least.  Unfortunately, that will
> only amuse me for 30 to 40 minutes at a stretch.  I really should
> expand my horizons and search for more, don't you agree?
>
> <Ctrl><Alt><F##> does nothing, and my MCSE training has left me ill
> prepared for real computer diagnosis that I now need.  I don't even
> know how to force a boot into text mode, much less how to figure out
> where my Xwindows config went wrong (as it used to work, and I can
> still find my old files on the HD).
>
> Now that I let the cat out of the bag regarding my perspective of
> experience I will expect the (perhaps deserved) hazing for ever having
> had any affiliation w/ Big Bill, but that's another story.  Can any
> compassionate soul out there point me in a reasonable direction to
> diagnose this and get back in operational mode, please and thank you???
>
> Humbly,
>
> Pa

well... lets see... for a text mode boot you probably need to add the
single parameter to the kernel in grub (select the entry, press e (or p
for password if you have one and then e), select the second line, press
e again and add single at the end of the line). this should leave you in
front of a command promt in runlevel 1 (sort of command prompt only
safe-mode in windows but without the GUI). to start everything except
the GUI you might want to switch now to runlevel 3 ("init 3" is the
command). Try posting any errors you see from now on to the list and
well se how we can help you.

BTW, why Fedora Core 1 and not Fedora Core 2?

Cheers,
d3vi1