1680x1050 resolution not working (Fedora Core 2, Dell Inspiron 8600, WSXGA+)

Joel Jaeggli joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Tue Aug 17 00:50:13 UTC 2004

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> a bit of a digression, is there any sane rationale to the myriad of acronyms
> for display resolution?

marketing. xga was the IBM eXtended Graphics Adapter which supported
1024x768 albiet interlaced. for the longest time all resultions above
that were typically described by h v and refresh rate. Then some marketing
droid got a wild hare and now here we are... lcd's simplify things a lot
since most of them are designed to work at 60hz as there native
refresh rate. There used to be a serious qualitative difference
between at crt at 1600x1200x60hz and one at 75 or 80 that doesn't exist
when comparing lcd panels in general.

Joel Jaeggli  	       Unix Consulting 	       joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu