[OT] DVDRecord & RedHat 7.3 (Valhalla)

Thom Paine thom at customnetworks.ca
Tue Aug 17 12:56:19 UTC 2004

I know this is OT, and that there is still a Valhalla list, but this one
gets more action, and I don't subscribe to valhalla anymore, as I'm sure
most of you people don't either. I thought I would post this here since
it may be a simple fix to get working.

I just installed an LG DVD-RW drive in a server I manage, with the
intention to archive off some of their Solidworks CAD files to DVD's.
Many of their jobs have closed and there is no need to keep them on the
live filesystem. In the two years that I have been running their server,
their Solidworks folder has grown from 10G to 70G.

The problem is that I can't seem to get Valhalla to burn a DVD-RW disc.
I've tried it many times, sometimes with DAO and other times with TAO.
TAO fails miserably with no support, and DAO errors out as well.

The server picks up the drive in dvdrecord -scanbus :

scsibus1:
        1,0,0   100) 'HL-DT-ST' 'DVDRAM GSA-4082B' 'A204' Removable
CD-ROM
        1,1,0   101) *

But it doesn't want to blank a disc, nor burn an ISO to it.

scsidev: '1,0,0'
scsibus: 1 target: 0 lun: 0
Linux sg driver version: 3.1.24
dvdrecord: Warning Linux Bus mapping botch.
Using libscg version 'schily-0.5'
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 0
Response Format: 2
Capabilities   :
Vendor_info    : 'HL-DT-ST'
Identifikation : 'DVDRAM GSA-4082B'
Revision       : 'A204'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD.
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc DVD-R(W) driver (mmc_mdvd).
Driver flags   : SWABAUDIO BURNFREE
Supported modes: PACKET SAO
Starting to write CD/DVD at speed 2 in write mode for single session.
Last chance to quit, starting real write in 0 seconds. Operation starts.
dvdrecord: Input/output error. blank unit: scsi sendcmd: no error
CDB:  A1 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
Sense Bytes: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 10 A1 00 00 0C 30 05 00 00
Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x30 Qual 0x05 (cannot write medium - incompatible format)
Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
cmd finished after 0.002s timeout 9600s
dvdrecord: Cannot blank disk, aborting.
[root at mail root]#

I don't understand any of the output.

Anyone else have this problem? Should I upgrade my dvdrecord file to a
newer version?

Thanks.