Replacing disk in Linux Software RAID 1

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Tue Aug 17 15:26:00 UTC 2004

Michael Mansour wrote:
> Hi Robin,
>
> Yahoo truncated most of the email so I'll just try to
> answer your specific question.
>

>>Would it be possible to write the MBR to the second
>>disk just in case?
>>--
>>Robin Laing
>

> Yes, I've tested this by removing the first drive and
> writing grub to the MBR of the second drive and it did
> work fine, although when putting the first drive back
> in there then I had the issue with two MBR's which got
> things a little confused.
>
> Basically, what I learnt from that saga is that grub
> should only reside on one drive.
>
> Michael.

> http://au.movies.yahoo.com

This is interesting.

I don't use RAID for my system drives but I do for /home so it isn't
an issue for me.  But in a production system, it would be very
convenient to have the MBR on both drives in case the boot drive does
fail.  Move the second drive and then you can reboot.

I for one when I was a system admin, did not like getting called in at
03:00 due to a crash.  And doesn't always seem to happen at 03:00 when
things go bad?  :)

I feel it should be there.  Now if you do write it to the second disk
and you have problems, this could be a problem.

--
Robin Laing