Installing Fedora Core 2

Jim Napier jnapier at urchin.com
Tue Aug 17 15:50:51 UTC 2004

I can't believe this question isn't asked of this list dozens of times a
day, but I can find no reasonably detailed reference covering all the
various installation methods. So sorry to make members of this list repeat
themselves. I want to install Fedora Core 2 on an older NetPC with limited
resources. This unit doesn't have a CD and can't boot from an external USB
CDROM. I need to know the following:

1. What are the minimal hardware requirements for Fedora Core 2 (disk
space, RAM, CPU if applicable)?

2. What options do I have for installation when I can't boot from CD and
starting with Fedora Core 2 the boot images no longer fit on floppy? I've
been told that I can do it by setting up a PXE boot server, but details on
that have been sketchy. Before I expend energy on such an approach I'd like
some additional input from more experienced Fedora users.

Pointers to any web resources would be most welcome. The apparent lack of
documentation on the Fedora website is disappointing. The detail in the
README files that get created on CD when you download the ISOs is of little
help.  Maybe I'm just can't see the forest for the trees, but I've never
had such a problem with any of the numerous Linux distributions I've
installed in the past.

Thanks for any help this list can offer.

Jim Napier