Help me find 5 mistakes and than solution to thoes mistakes!

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Aug 17 18:10:35 UTC 2004

Thom Paine wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-08-17 at 13:11, John Meagher wrote:
>
>>>Spelled "than" instead of "then", too. :-)
>>>

>>Also, the article "the" should be inserted between "then" and "solution"
>>
>>-- still one more to go.  This is getting tough..
>>

> Maybe 5 should be spelled out five, instead of the numeral.
>
> And if we have to find five mistakes on every line, this will take a
> month of Sundays....

Yes.  When I learned this there were two rules that were applied
equally often:

Rule 1:  The values zero through ten are to be spelled out
Rule 2:  Single-digit values (zero through nine) were to be spelled out

Of course, that was back in the stone age (the early 60s) when the
rules seemed to mean something.

My current three primary pet peeves:

1. "Me and John...".  Wrong!  "John and I...".  Correct.

2. The word is "separate", people.  There is no such word as "seperate"
in the English language.

3. Plurals do NOT use an apostrophe unless it is a plural possessive or
possessive of a subject that ends in "s".  Examples:

	"dogs" means multiple instances (correct plural)

	"dog's" means the object is owned by the dog (possessive)

	"dogs'" means many dogs own the object (plural possessive)

	"Rick Stevens' car" means my car (possessive of subject ending
	in "s")

Of course, this is all undeniably off topic.  Class dismissed.
- grasshopotomaus: A creature that can leap to tremendous heights... -
-                                                ...once.            -