Help me find 5 mistakes and than solution to thoes mistakes!

Aaron Gaudio prothonotar at tarnation.dyndns.org
Tue Aug 17 19:15:12 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-17 at 11:10 -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:

> Yes.  When I learned this there were two rules that were applied
> equally often:
>
> Rule 1:  The values zero through ten are to be spelled out
> Rule 2:  Single-digit values (zero through nine) were to be spelled out
>
> Of course, that was back in the stone age (the early 60s) when the
> rules seemed to mean something.

Hey I learned this from Dvorak Teaches Typing :)

> My current three primary pet peeves:
>
> 1. "Me and John...".  Wrong!  "John and I...".  Correct.

"John and me" could also be correct, depending on the context. For
instance "She baked a cake for John and me."

> 2. The word is "separate", people.  There is no such word as "seperate"
> in the English language.
>
> 3. Plurals do NOT use an apostrophe unless it is a plural possessive or
> possessive of a subject that ends in "s".  Examples:
>
> 	"dogs" means multiple instances (correct plural)
>
> 	"dog's" means the object is owned by the dog (possessive)
>
> 	"dogs'" means many dogs own the object (plural possessive)
>
> 	"Rick Stevens' car" means my car (possessive of subject ending
> 	in "s")

Furthermore, some pronouns don't use apostrophes for possessive. E.g.
"it's" means "it is", "its" means something belonging to "it"; ditto for
"their"/"theirs".