OpenOffice does not produce HTML documents.

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Tue Aug 17 20:46:01 UTC 2004

On Tue, Aug 17, 2004 at 06:51:58PM +0100, Jim Higson wrote:
> On Tuesday 17 August 2004 14:57, akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:
> > I have discovered that OpenOffice is unable to produce viewable HTML
> > pages from Word Documents.
> >
> > 1. In FC1 the HTML document is unviewable because paragraphs come out
> > as just one big line that does not wrap arroung properly.
> >
> > 2. I have not spent as much time doing this conversion in FC2. But
> > what I got was an HTML page with just the header code and no body.
> >
> > Any one know how to make this work? It certainly works correctly in
> > Microsoft Word under XP.
>
> Two pieces of advice:
>
> 1 - try getting the latest version, of OO, or if that fails the latest
> developer snapshot (v 1.9.49) which you can get as RPMS on the openoffice
> site
Well it always good idea to have the latest version but we keep
updating our systems and it would be nice if the updates versions of
OO would work.
> 2 - If you still can't convert the file report this as a bug to OO, with the
> document that is causing the problem
I was waiting to hear someone say that they have the same behavior
from OO before I declare this a real bug. But if I have time I will
report it.
> 3 - try wv - it's in fedora and can translate doc to html.
Well wv is strange . Again even though we continually update our
machines wv is not on them, Even stranger the wv header was downloaded
but no rpm installed.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University