Scan for wireless networks?

netmask netmask at enZotech.net
Tue Aug 17 21:45:35 UTC 2004

> Does anyone know if there is an applet for Fedora which allows to see
> what wireless networks are available?  I suspect people will recommend

As to this part of your question.. I don't personally know of any applets
exactly.. and kismet is more for finding wireless networks you aren't suppose
to find, and logging them all (Oh man, that list goes on.. kismet does so much
more, but has nothing to do with my answer for you.. so i wont get into it)

iwlist wlan0 scan

This will give you everything it can see, what their SSID's are, what their
mode is, bit rates offered, quality/signal/noise, operating channel, and of
course MAC address.

This command also works even under NDIS wrapper if you're using 802.11g with
windows drivers on linux.