i18n settings for cifs&vfat

christoph kunz christoph.kunz at iao.fhg.de
Wed Aug 18 09:03:35 UTC 2004

hi all,

i´m using fc2 with standard kernel 2.6.7-1.494.2.2. in my ofrfice
setting i have to mount windows shares via cifs and my ms compatible
vfat partition for data storage.

with fc2 standard kernel 2.6.6 everything went fine with display names
of files when mounting cifs or vfat.
now with the new kernel german umlaute (ä,ü) are corrupted in vfat.
after googling i changed the line in /etc/sysconfig/i18n to
#LANG="de_DE.UTF-8"
#LANG="de_DE at euro"
LANG="de_DE"

now vfat mounts correctly display filenames but cifs mounts are
coruppted. with LANG="de_DE.UTF-8" it vice versa.

do you have any hints what changed with the 2.6.7 kernel?? or how to
correctly mount cifs AND vfat??

thanx a lot

christoph

--
dipl.-ing. christoph kunz
fraunhofer institut fuer arbeitswirtschaft und organisation

fon:      +49 (0)711 - 970 2314
fax:      +49 (0)711 - 970 2300
mail:     christoph.kunz at iao.fhg.de
icq#:     49335597