The 'winblows' key...

Øyvind Stegard oyvinst at ifi.uio.no
Wed Aug 18 10:45:01 UTC 2004

RoboticGolem wrote:
> I never used FC1 so I dont know if this is something that started in
> FC1 or not.  However, I used to use my win-key for many many shortcuts
> in RH9.  Like  win+<arrow> would move my virtual desktops, win-m for
> mail, that sort of thing.  It was a good way to use shortcuts that
> wouldnt interfear with other applications.  KDE doesnt allow me to do
> this anymore.  I click the 'custom shortcut'  hit the winkey, it shows
> win+ but then when I hit the next key win+m, it goes back like it
> acknowledged it however, its only the m key, not win+m.
>
> Does anyone know what could cause this?  I used to have a custom
> keymap back in 5.2 to get this to work, do you think this could help
> me now?
Assuming you are using FC2(this is where it started), there is a bug in
one of the XKB mapping files. Perhaps this URL will enlighten you:
http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/long_list.cgi?buglist=123539

I use one of the patches posted there, and it works. Weird that it
wasn't fixed in the updated Xorg version that was released a while ago.

(BTW, you call it the Winblows key, but you still find it quite useful,
don't you ???)

--
< Øyvind Stegard <oyvinst (at) ifi uio no>
  < University of Oslo, Dept. of informatics