Excess sessions

Clint Harshaw clint at penguinsolutions.org
Wed Aug 18 11:53:15 UTC 2004

Michael Sullivan wrote:
> Earlier today I was toying with krdc trying to figure out how to use it,
> but didn't have any luck.  There's no help and no included docs and I
> didn't feel like searching the Net for information about it.  I was
> doing something earlier and my hard drive was clicking when I didn't
> think it should.  I had gnome-system-monitor open then, so I checked the
> Active Processes.  Several instances of krbc were popping up and
> dissappearing.  I think I ended them all.  Fearing a hack, I typed
> 'users" at the terminal prompt.  This is what it gave me:
>
> [michael at baby michael]$ users
> michael michael michael
>

> Usually I'm only on there twice:  Once for my login to GNOME and once
> for running gnome-terminal (at least I think that's what it is).
> Somewhat disconcerted at seeing myself logged in three times
> simultaniously (sp?)  I ran finger on my username:
>
> [michael at baby michael]$ finger michael
> Login: michael                          Name: Michael Sullivan
> Directory: /home/michael                Shell: /bin/bash
> On since Tue Aug 17 20:42 (CDT) on :0 (messages off)
> On since Tue Aug 17 21:24 (CDT) on pts/1 from :0.0
> On since Tue Aug 10 13:31 (CDT) on pts/1 from bubbles.espersunited.com
> Mail last read Tue Aug 17 20:43 2004 (CDT)
> No Plan.
>

> bubbles.espersunited.com is our laptop that I sometimes use to access my
> account on baby.espersunited.com when my wife is using baby.  I says
> I've been signed on from there since last Tuesday, but I haven't been,
> and in fact bubbles isn't even powered on at this moment.  How do I get
> things back to normal?  And while we're on the subject, what does it
> mean by saying "No Plan"?  What is a user plan and how do I define one?

Michael:

I've posted several similar queries related to obviously inactive users.
Short of a reboot, there wasn't much I could do, though the new
libbonobo update has helped somewhat. Try this: log out as michael, log
in as root, and then open a terminal and type ps -ef. Note what
processes are being run by the michael user, even after logging out.

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fedora-list&m=109156933713200&w=2

When you close out a terminal, are you typing "exit" or clicking on the
X in the window? This post from me asks if there is an issue in FC2
related to X'ing out of a terminal window:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fedora-list&m=109088693016156&w=2

Did you notice this happening in FC1? I didn't -- I only see it on my
FC2 machine.

Clint