fedora-list Digest, Vol 6, Issue 212

Norm Deane ndeane01 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 18 12:57:56 UTC 2004

> Norm Deane wrote:
> > I recently upgraded my RH9 (Dell Inspiron 8200/)
to FC2.
> The upgrade
> > went well but after upgrading I've noticed that
applications take
> >  forever (some take 5+
> > minutes) to start.  Once they are running they
perform ok.

> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Norm
>
> Check hard Disk DMA settings?
>
> Although in general, like Windows, I find each new
iteration
> of Redhat (Now Fedora) is slower than the
last...sigh.

>> What kind of application and what else is running
on >> the background?

Eclipse (a Java IDE), Firefox (mozilla based we
browser), Thunderbird (mozilla based mail reader).
"service --status-all" yields...

ALSA sound driver loaded. ALSA sound driver not
locked!
anacron (pid 1904) is running...
atd (pid 1912) is running...
Configured Mount Points:
------------------------

Active Mount Points:
--------------------
crond (pid 1680) is running...
cupsd (pid 1691) is running...
gpm (pid 1670) is running...
i8kbuttons (pid 1201) is running...
Table: filter
Chain INPUT (policy DROP)

ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere
      tcp dpt:domain
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere
      udp dpt:domain
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere
      tcp dpt:ssh
ACCEPT     icmp --  anywhere             anywhere
      icmp echo-request limit: avg 5/min burst 5
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere
      state RELATED,ESTABLISHED
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere
localhost.localdomain
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere
      tcp dpt:8001
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere
      tcp dpt:webcache
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere
      tcp dpt:6881

Chain FORWARD (policy DROP)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

irattach is stopped
lisa is stopped
dbus-daemon-1 (pid 1921) is running...
Usage: /etc/init.d/mysql start|stop|restart
Active SMB mountpoints:
/export/development
/export/javadev
/export/mis