FC2 installation hangs

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Wed Aug 18 16:23:53 UTC 2004

Maurizio Rosetti wrote:
> A power failure caused the following error when booting :
>
> ACPI: S3 and PAE do not like each other for now, S3 disabled.
> audit(1092819876:0): initialized
> Red Hat nash version 3.5.22 starting
> JBD: Failed to read block at offset 1929
> EXT3-fs : error loading journal.
> ata2: DMA timeout, stat 0X21
>
> Then I had to reinstall FC2. Yet the installations hangs when "searching for
> Fedora Core installations...".
> I used the same CDs of the previous installation. I don't know how to fix
> this. Can anyone give me a hint ?

OK: you still haven't solved the problem with the hard drive. It sounds
as though Fedora Core 2 is trying to look on your har drives and having
exactly the same problem as the previous installation had.

As I see it, you have three options:

1. Get a new hard disk.

2. Wipe the current hard disk.

3. Use a bootable CD / floppy and try to fix the current problems.

I've already given you advice on number 3. Number 1 is trivial: number 2
can be done any number of ways, but also includes a bootable CD /
floppy. (Unless you can take the drive out and put it in another machine
running some sort of Linux).

My advice is to try to fsck the current hard disk. At least it should
get you around the current set of problems. At best, you might be able
to get into your old install again...

James.

--
E-mail address: james | Blessed are the pessimistic, for they take backups.
@westexe.demon.co.uk  |