OT--Re: Help me find 5 mistakes and than solution to thoes mistakes!

John Krische john at sysop.com
Wed Aug 18 20:28:49 UTC 2004

Sigh... ah, self-appointed guardians of lingual correctitude.

The English "virus" definitely came from Latin.  See for yourself at
www.m-w.com (Merriam Webster), dictionary.com, etc., etc..  Their listed
original meaning, and that in my old Latin textbooks (looked it up over
lunch) is "venom" or "poison," or a slimy substance that contains venom
or poison (killer snot?), plus a few other related ancient meanings.
Makes sense if you think about the way people used to understand
diseases.  Same story on cactus (Latin-derived), but that in itself was
derived for the older Greek "kaktos."  "Virus" is similarly derived in
Latin from older languages still, in this case, Greek and Sanskrit - a
combinaton word, similar to the way Germans build new words.

Rules of pluralization depend on who taught you English, on whether it
is American or Queen's English, and *when* you learned the language, as
the rules are not set "in stone" in some international standards
organization but are all by common agreement only (textbook publishers
are king here), and *have changed over time*.  In my own lifetime I've
seen a major change in the way "standard English" deals with paragraph
formatting, thanks to the rise of email.  20 years ago, one wouldn't
dream of starting a paragraph without an intendation.  Now email-style
formatting appears in school textbooks as a viable option for all
written English.

What I think would be fascinating trivia on this subject would be to go
back to, say, Chaucer or his contemporaries to see if he/they used these
Latin-derived words in plural at all, and if so, how.  Then go back
further, to a variant of English closer to regular German (it is
Angle-ish after all), e.g. Beowulf-era stuff, see how Latin-derived
words were used in those days, if at all.

Honestly folks - statements about what is absolutely correct in a given
language are silly on their face, especially for English.  The English
language in itself is a hodge-podge mostly of corrupted German and
Latin, plus later derivatives of those major "root" languages (French,
Spanish, Danish, etc), which themselves are corruptions of older
languages still.  English is picking up new words every single day, and
changing the definitions of old words to suit new needs as well.  To
follow the "aboslutely right" line of thinking, we should all use
"Der/Das/Die" instead of "the," "das Hund" instead of "the hound," "der
Durchfahre" instead of "the thoroughfare", and so on.  They still do
such things in parts of Scotland, where the English language has evolved
the least and is sometimes practically German (for simple lack of
large-scale cultural interaction, unlike the US, which is non-stop
interaction).  Were it not for such cultural interaction and its
influence on languages, we wouldn't even *have* the word "virus" in the
English language, must less be able to argue about its origin or
pluralization rules.  We certainly wouldn't use a word from another
language originally referring to venom to describe a self-propagating
computer program of malicious intent, if we follow the "purist" model.

Languages evolve over time, for the simple reason that, I think, as
George Carlin put it best - words only have what meaning we all agree
they have (in the "There are no 'bad words'" sketch).   They're just
sounds or symbols, after all, with no meaning in and of themselves.  If
they had inherent meaning, there would be only 1 language.  As opinions
on things change, so do the words we use and how we use them.  Imagine
if the dictionary never had a new word added or a word changed, or if we
still used the grammar and spelling of Middle English.  There is no
right answer, save this: if you can communicate the *idea* to the other
person, the language worked.  Language is a tool only.  Tools constantly
get revised: What's the current version of GCC?  Of QT, Tk, PHP, Perl,
etc?  English is no different.

Now, if there were such an organization like the IEEE or W3C or such for
each major language with an enforcement capability on textbook &
dictionary publishers & the like, the story might be different.  Until
then... The cacti are full of viri AND the cactuses are full of viruses.
  :)  Embrace the chaos & use it to your advantage, for trying to fight
it is pointless.

Now let's get off this OT garbage and back on to Fedora stuff, eh? (this
oughta piss off the purists:) Ich habe viele serveren fixus.

JK