RH9 or FC2 on Laptop with WiFi

Lotsa Cabo lotsacabo at spamjammer.com
Wed Aug 18 23:58:10 UTC 2004

Many many moons ago I installed RH9 on my Toshiba 5005-S507 and had to
pay for a support incident to get the wireless, sound, and even the
keyboard working correctly.  It's running XP Pro (there's an oxi-moron)
again and I would like to install FC2 or another build of Linux that
would allow me to be up and running with as little tweaking as
possible.  Burned on CD, I currently have the following to choose
from...

	Red Hat v9.0 (my first preference)
	Fedora Core 1
	Fedora Core 2 (my second preference)
	FreeBSD v5.1
	Lindows OS v4.0 (yuck)
	Mandrake Linux v9.0

The configuration of the machine is as follows:

	Toshiba 5005-S507 laptop
	1.2 GHz / 512 MB / 40 GB
	nVidia GeForce4 440 Go
	Linksys 802.11G 2.4GHz Wireless NIC (WPC54G v1.2)
	Yama AC-XG Audio chipset
	Onboard NIC physically disabled
	Don't care about the onboard modem

A couple of notes...

1. My overall goal is to get off of M$ and port my apps from C#/.NET to
something more cross-platform.  Initially, admittedly, it will probably
be Mono, but it will probably then move into strict Java.  My goal is
to get comfy with the OS and develop in a language I understand.  Then,
when I'm more comfortable, start moving to the next language.

2. I would love to download something else, but because of hurricane
Chrarlie, I am on dial-up for the forseeable future.  If there IS a
distro out there that would be better for this, then I CAN get access
to a fast connection.  It's just gonna take a day or so.

3. Please don't think I'm being lazy with not wanting to spend time
tweaking the OS to get it up.  I just need to stay productive.  I don't
mind spending a few minutes each day trying to learn or figure
something out, but I cannot devote days to it at one shot.

4. I DO NOT MIND PAYING FOR WHATEVER BUILD IT GET, AS LONG AS IT'S
CLEAN AND STABLE.  However, I do not feel that I NEED to pay for it.
Just keep in mind that money for the distro is not an issue here.

I sincerely appreciate any, and all, input you can give.

Thanx,
Ryan
Tired of spam?  Signup for a FREE SpamJammer.Com account and say
goodbye to junk email forever!