Help me find 5 mistakes and than solution to thoes mistakes!

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Aug 19 04:04:27 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 18 August 2004 18:28, Nifty Hat Mitch wrote:
>On Wed, Aug 18, 2004 at 04:48:27PM -0400, Carroll Grigsby wrote:
>> >
>> > As in...
>> >   Damien Clark
>> >
>> > http://infocom.cqu.edu.au/Courses/2004/T3/COIT13146/Assessment/A
>> >ssignment_1 _-_Shell_Programming/
>>
>> In light of the fact that Mr. Oberoi has admitted the error of his
>> ways, did you give him a passing grade?
>
>Well there are multiple parts to the class and I have
>yet to do the exercise myself.
>
>I once worked at a major workstation company and saw the same thing
>where students would call in for assistance on an interesting and
> 'non trivial' problem.  Interesting enough to discuss over lunch...
> and almost all of us at the table went --" me too, I just got the
> same question"--.
>
>Since none of us "just replied" it will be curious to see how well
>he did.   Goodness, help him if his grammar needs work.

No *if* about it Tom, his grammer needs all the help it can get.
Which leads me to an observation based on 69 years of living, and now
about 20 years of interneting.

That observation is that for the most part, unless there is a real
'language problem' on the part of the poster, the level of written
english here far exceeds that presently being published by our
leading nationwide daily newspapers.  Many of the posters here had to
learn english in order to carry on a meaningfull conversation
covering the technical issues of today.

And guess what?  Most of those whose native tongue might be german or
some other slavic language, and have learned english in professional
self defense, have apparently studied it much more thoroughly than
many of us who speak in natively.  At my age, I am still getting an
english lesson on the internet from time to time.  Probably from
someone with a .de, .ru or .cx address.

We Americans are getting incredibly sloppy with our usage, some would
even go so far as to say bastardization, of the language.  IMO we are
NOT improving the language by doing so.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)