Problems with Samba in FC2

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Thu Aug 19 13:51:58 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-08-19 at 08:22, Richard Schmitt wrote:
> I am running FC2 in a network with three Win98 SE machines. Ever since
> upgrading to FC 2 Samba and my network have not been working right.
>
> When setting up Samba, under FC2 it insists om setting security as
> "Share"--changing it to "User" in smb.conf makes no difference. The
> setting remains "Share"
>
> With this setting the network works sometimes and sometimes not and I
> have not a clue about what the problem is.
>
> Anybody have any ideas?
>
> Thanks, Richard

Did you restart samba after making the change?

Not sure I have seen the problem you describe.  I have been able to
access samba shares from windows boxes and windows shares from FC2
boxes.

The problem I have observed and filed a bug report on is that nautilus
appears to have a problem showing the windows network devices via the
Network Servers menu item or in a plain nautilus window.

I have also found that it is necessary to manually add samba users to
the system using the smbpasswd -a command.  Doing this via swat does not
seem to work as expected.

What kind of entries are you getting in your log files?

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

Hurricane Charley survivor