ISA Crystal Sound

Christopher K. Johnson ckjohnson at gwi.net
Thu Aug 19 15:35:52 UTC 2004

William Hooper wrote:

>Peter Hutnick said:
>

>>On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 17:47:53 -0400 (EDT), William Hooper
>><whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net> wrote:
>>

>>>Peter Hutnick said:
>>>[snip]

>>>sndconfig used OSS, the 2.6 kernel uses ALSA.
>>>

>>This being the case, can you explain why your recommended solution is
>>to download ALSA?  (I know it can be hard to tell where people are coming
>>from in email.  I'm asking sincerely.)
>>

>Not really my recommended solution but the solution of the forum poster.  I would hypothesize that the ALSA shipping with FC2 is older than the alsa-project.org version.  This implies there may be bugs that are fixed in the later version.  Another idea would be to use one of the newer kernels that are currently in Rawhide to see if that fixes it.
>
>Furthermore, I would suggest that if the alsa-project.org tarballs do work file a bug in bugzilla so that it can be fixed in future FC errata.
>
>--
>William Hooper

You do not need newer alsa, nor Rawhide kernels.  It works with FC2
released updates as of 2 weeks ago.  You just have to configure
modprobe.conf correctly yourself because the hardware is not detected by
system-config-sound.  And the snd-cs4236 module will not work with
Thinkpad 600 with default options.  You have to configure the options
correctly for it to load, per my earlier post.