ISA Crystal Sound

Fritz Whittington f.whittington at att.net
Thu Aug 19 21:01:36 UTC 2004

On or about 2004-08-18 20:06, Christopher K. Johnson whipped out a
trusty #2 pencil and scribbled:

> Christopher K. Johnson wrote:
>
>> Peter Hutnick wrote:
>>
>>> I have a Thinkpad 600 with ISA based Crystal sound.  It worked fine
>>> with RH6 and FC1, but FC2 won't detect it.
>>

>> Yes.  I had the same issue and got the alsa drivers working by
>> manually configuring.  You need to get the options just right.
>> Try this in your /etc/modprobe.conf
>> options snd-cs4236 isapnp=0 cport=0x538 port=0x530 sb_port=0x220
>> fm_port=0x388 irq=5 dma1=1 dma2=0
>> alias snd-card-0 snd-cs4236
>> install snd-cs4236 /sbin/modprobe pcspkr && /sbin/modprobe
>> --ignore-install snd-cs4236 && /usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null
>> 2>&1 || :
>> remove snd-cs4236 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; };
>> /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-cs4236
>

> And I forgot to mention you need to modprobe snd-card-0, then go into
> the mixer and set sound levels so everything is audible instead of
> turned down to zero.

I had a similar problem with my ISA SB AWE64 board.  While I don't doubt
that (a variation of) your solution above would work, I found it much
easier to config the kernel with built-in sound rather than modules.
Works just fine, of course.   It's not likely I'm going to change my
sound card every few days and re-boot.

--
Fritz Whittington
It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err. (Mahatma Gandhi)