Reository wisdom (not lookin' fer howtos)

Mike Ramirez mike at thexxxhost.com
Fri Aug 20 00:40:33 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-17 at 06:14, Brian Fahrlander wrote:
>     Well, my research into LDAP for authentication is showing GREAT
> benefits over NIS, and I have a third machine (for the home) installing
> upstairs as I type this. This one's delay due to a dirty CDROM, and I
> have to go 'hit' it once in a while.  An FTP install would probably be
> more accurate, if the bandwidth is available.
>
>     I'm curious about repositories; since these could be massive groups
> of PCs (say, hundreds or thousands) it should make sense to maintain a
> separate repo (yum, presumably) on a server somewhere.
>
>     My question is, with all the questions about repo stability and
> such, what's the best way to go about it, strategically? I'm talking
> about whether I should find a local college to sync with, get it
> straight from fedora.us, or exactly what seems to go into making a nice,
> stable mirror?

Yam by Dag Wieers

http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/yam/

I have found this to be a great way to mirror multiple repositories.  It
creates yum and apt headers and the httpd.conf entry for you.  You can
specify which distro you want also architechusre types.  Right now it
works with fc2 i386 and x86_64 "right out of the box". Yam supports
remote installations.