FC 2 won't shutdown or reboot

Thomas E. Dukes edukes at alltel.net
Fri Aug 20 01:03:44 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-08-19 at 20:51, James Wilkinson wrote:
> Thomas E. Dukes wrote:
> > This is another of several problems I've been working on since upgrading
> > from RH 9.  Hopefully, all these will get worked out.  I must have had a
> > bad install or something.
> >
> > I am using gnome as the desktop and when it installed, I didn't get
> > anything on the panel excpet the RedHat 'Start" button.  I don't know if
> > its related to the reboot/shutdown problem or not.
> >
> > But when I need to reboot or shutdown, it won't.  I have to kill the
> > power.  Anyone sen this before?  I searched the archives but didn't find
> > anything relating to this type of reboot problem.
>
> Even if you run reboot or shutdown (in a terminal)? As root? On a
> console (Ctrl+Alt+F1)?
>
> Do any of the combinations produce any error messages?
Well, just tried a reboot from a console and it hangs there too.
I just get the system message that the system is going down for a
reboot and it just stops.  I gave it about 5 minutes to do something
but it never did.  I have waited as long as 20 minutes from gnome.
Guess that rules out a problem with gnome.

I could try re-installing some packages but I'm not sure which ones
are needed.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!