Local Printing

Brian Truter fedora-list at kurse.damnyou.org
Fri Aug 20 01:49:26 UTC 2004

> Am Fr, den 20.08.2004 schrieb Brian Truter um 3:04:
>
>> Is there an equivalent of "lprint" in Fedora (or linux in general)?
>>
>> Basically, how do I print to my local printer when I am logged into a
>> Fedora machine via telnet, ssh, serial terminal, etc?
>
> lpr -P name_of_printer file
> (see man lpr)
>
> Alexander
>

> --

Yes, this method I already know. However, the printer would not be defined
in the system.

Basically, in our company, we have Regional Managers from all over the
midwest call into the system to check their mail and other tasks. They
cannot print to their local systems like they were able to using SCO and
the lprint command. That command redirected the print back to their
terminal, and printed it on their local printer.

Im sure there is a method in Linux for doing this. It is not feasible, or
even possible to define all those printers on the main server. 99% of them
are on dialup connections. The either dial a 800 number directly to the
server, or terminal in over the Internet.

Hopefully that clarifies what I need to do, maybe someone out there is
doing something similar.