Contributing Back as Thanks

Clint Harshaw clint at penguinsolutions.org
Fri Aug 20 02:15:24 UTC 2004

John Krische wrote:
[...]
> I've long been a fan of Debian's APT system updating tool, and it's got
> a pretty good GUI called Synaptic.  When I discovered that FC2 included
> YUM, I immediately started looking for a GUI for it, since Yum and Apt
> operate on extremely similar models and thus Yum should in theory be
> just as good a thing to have a GUI for as Apt.
>
> So, new users and/or those interested in a Yum GUI, there is a pretty
> good one available called "yumi", available from Cobind.  They are busy
> making a custom desktop enviroment package, kind of like Ximian, sort
> of, part of which is a Yum GUI that you can download independently. Just
> search Google for "cobind yum gui" and you'll find it right away. It's a
> VERY small download, like only 50K or so.  I think you will like it.
> Versions are available for all RH/FC releases since RH9.
[...]

Don't forget that Thomas Chung has two especially nice mods of yumi!

Here are the urls:

http://www.fedoranews.org/tchung/gyum/

and the corresponding applet (i.e. "blue check mark thingy") can be
found here:
http://www.fedoranews.org/tchung/yum-applet/

Look carefully at the top of each of those pages for the FC2 binaries!

If a user doesn't like the yum-applet, or simply wants the rhn-applet
back in place, here's how to get things back like they were originally:

# yum install rhn-applet

Hope this helps, and "thanks" to Thomas for his work and articles at
FedoraNews.org!

Clint