DVD iso

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Fri Aug 20 13:08:15 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-08-20 at 14:01, Lew Bloch wrote:
> > Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 20:21:03 -0700
> > From: RoboticGolem <roboticgolem at gmail.com>
>  > Even then, you could download a cd based distro that copies itself to
>  > ram and use it to burn your dvd.iso.
>
> Download Linux in order to download Linux?  How delightfully circular.
> I'd have to burn the CD[s] in order to burn the DVD.  I don't really see
> the value in this approach.
>
> I prefer just to download Fedora as the CD-based distro and install it
> from CD.

By "cd based distro" s/he means a single-CD distribution (e.g. Knoppix),
that you can boot into straight off CD *without needing to install it*.
You could then burn your DVD image using that. Given that you've already
downloaded the DVD, downloading a single Knoppix CD ISO would be quicker
than downloading the multiple CD ISOs you'd need to install Fedora.

An alternative approach, if you have any existing Linux boxes available
to you on a network (again, a Knoppix CD might suffice for this), would
be to loopback mount the DVD ISO there and export it via NFS, and then
do an NFS install. There's a small boot.iso file in the images/
directory of the DVD that you can burn to CD and use to boot into the
installer.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>