Network configuration problems - 3c509B

Robert Locke rlocke at ralii.com
Fri Aug 20 14:01:08 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-08-20 at 00:55, Thomas E. Dukes wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-08-20 at 00:12, Gregory Woodbury wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 19, 2004 at 10:53:58PM -0400, Thomas E. Dukes wrote:
> >
> > > I don't know what brand nic you have but I ran into similar problems
> > > with a 3Com 3C509B (think thats the model).  I finally had to scrap it
> > > and get something different.  I think some of the older cards are no
> > > longer supported.  This may be whats happening with your card.
> > > --
> > > Thomas E. Dukes <edukes at alltel.net>
> >
> > I'm using a 3c509B on FC3t1 (was using it on FC2) and it works fine.
> > Kudzu doesn't detect and configure it, but system-config-network will
> > set it up fine when selected manually under the "devices" tab.
> Good Lawd!!  I wish I had known that!! Do you know how much hair I pulled out?  I installed FC 2, twice and White Box Linux twice thinking the card was just too old.  :-(
>
> Oh well, I'll stick it the FC 1 machine I robbed and try that out.
>
> Thanks

I believe this was already pointed out, but there is a bugzilla report
that identifies a conflict between the 3C905B driver and kudzu.  kudzu's
probing leaves the card in an unstable state.  This problem did not
exist in the older version of kudzu in RHL 9 but was introduced in both
FC 1 and RHEL 3.

Easiest solution has been to turn off kudzu (I mean how often does our
hardware change...) by doing a "chkconfig kudzu off".  Then simply
reboot and the card works fine.

--Rob