FC2 wild mouse upon kernel update

STYMA, ROBERT E (ROBERT) stymar at lucent.com
Fri Aug 20 14:27:33 UTC 2004

> I have an installation of Fedora Core 2.  IN the initial installation the mouse works
> fine.  It is a Microsoft wheel mouse attached to the ps2 port through a KVM switch.
> However, when I upgrade the kernel to the newer ones through apt-get, the mouse goes wild
> upon boot.  This has been true through 4 updates.  By this I mean it randomingly pops all
> over the screen and appears to be clicking on various buttons as it does so since unwanted
> apps come up.  This is an nForce2 ckipset motherboard using an ATI video card machine.

> I would appreciate suggestions

I have had this happen several times on different machines using KVM switches.
This is going to sound stupid, but it appears incompatibilities can exist between
the Linux mouse driver and the KVM cable.  One of two things seems to fix this
problem on a regular basis.

1.  Switch mouse drivers using the mouse configuration tool.  Sometimes you
    can switch and later switch back and it starts working.

2.  Swap out to a different KVM cable.

Robert E. Styma
Principal Engineer (DMTS)
Lucent Technologies, Phoenix