Disappearing Text in Python-Based Utilities?

David L Norris dave at webaugur.com
Fri Aug 20 19:25:12 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-08-20 at 13:37 -0400, billg wrote:
> That is, when I switch away from one of these little apps, say, up2date,
> to another desktop, and then switch back to the desktop with the
> application, none of app's display text is visible.

Some python programs don't call gtk.events_pending() often enough, or at
all, to redraw their display while processing.  Anything with a
(working) progress bar would be calling events_pending() fairly often,
though.  You'll see the "blank window" problems on programs that provide
no, or very little, visual feedback for operation's that take a long
time.  It is generally a trivial problem to fix, though.

> What's going on?  Am I just cursed, or is this something that's lingered
> unfixed for years?

Squeaky wheel...  File a bug report on the program and explain what it
is doing and precisely when.  (i.e. rhn-applet-gui doesn't redraw window
contents while a "check for updates" is in progress.)

--
 David Norris
  http://www.webaugur.com/dave/