Off Topic: Xorg Composite/Damage

David L Norris dave at webaugur.com
Fri Aug 20 19:57:06 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-08-20 at 03:44 +0100, K.M.Zammi Kahan wrote:
> Hi, I've successfully installed Xorg new beta release on FC2; and
> running quite fine with Composite/Damage extensions as well. Could any
> one advice me how to enable some fun effects like drop shadows with
> Composite/Damage.

Grab xapps source from Xorg and build xcompmgr.  Run xcompmgr with one
of the command line options (s c n f).  -s and -f (shadow and fade) are
most interesting.  But do not run anything of value while xcompmgr is
running.  It is really neat but it makes my system (1 GHz Athlon, 768MB
RAM, NVidia GeForce4 MX) unusable.  Also after few seconds X segfaults;
especially with fade enabled.

In the end, I switched back to FC2's Xorg version.  Composite is
currently almost completely but not totally useless on my system.  You
may want to avoid it unless you plan to be debugging it.

--
 David Norris
  http://www.webaugur.com/dave/