adduser whith nis

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Fri Aug 20 21:26:27 UTC 2004

On Fri, Aug 20, 2004 at 02:54:59PM -0300, Pedro Fernandes Macedo wrote:
> Taylor, ForrestX wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 2004-08-20 at 09:50, benjlijel CHAKIB wrote:
> >

> >>hello (again)
> >>i have pdc nis .how i can add a new user whithout
> >>execute the Makefile in /var/yp
> >>

> >Edit whatever PASSWD points to in the Makefile and then run make.  Is
> >there some reason that you do not want to run make?
> >
> >Forrest
> >

> probably because he mentioned "PDC". This way , samba runs adduser only
> when adding a user remotely using the GUI tools available for windows.
> Then he ends in a inconsistent state , where the user exists , but the
> rest of the world doesnt know it untill he runs make by himself...
> One solution is making a wrapper script that calls adduser and make.
> Then configure samba to use it instead of using adduser directly... It's
> a good idea to do this to the other tools also , so you dont need to run
> make everytime you change some user configurations.

The aboive uis exactly how we do it. When a new user is added in the
Windows environment the our add-user script runs adduser and makefile
and make so the passwd is the one used by the Windows as well as the
Linux environment. One thing you need to be caredul of if it is
possible for two users to be added at roughly the same time yo need to
use lockfile to make sure they run sequentially.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
One Trinity Place.