OT: Has anyone tried Yoper

Aaron Gaudio prothonotar at tarnation.dyndns.org
Sat Aug 21 00:43:44 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-08-20 at 16:09 -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:
> billg wrote:

> > Not that I'm all that happy with FC2.  I spent hours today installing
> > and updating FC2 after deciding to spend sometime learning Mono. My
> > impressions are the same as when I used FC1:  Great distribution,
> > invisible documentation, up2date is still broken, and the mirrors vary
> > from bog slow at best to unresponsive.
>
> If you'd try using one of the yum mirrors rather than Red Hat's server,
> you'd have MUCH better luck.  Since the RH server is the only one in the
> initial yum.conf, it gets slammed and is too busy to respond to you.
> Don't blame FC1 or FC2, blame Red Hat for not putting up more servers
> and load-balancing them.  I doubt they will as they don't make any
> money with FC.  I'm on the west coast and I use the web-ster and
> kernel.org mirrors a lot.  Both are pretty quick.

I don't know about you yum users, but using apt with a combination of
download.fedora.us and ayo.freshrpms.net I'm very happy with the speed
of my downloads.

Of course, I also have a cron job set up to 'apt-get -d upgrade' every
night (it just downloads them) so often my download time is zilch :)

--
Aaron Gaudio <prothonotar at tarnation.dyndns.org>