no audio with Quicktime video streams

david walcroft david_walcroft at yahoo.com.au
Sat Aug 21 01:03:18 UTC 2004

Clint Harshaw wrote:
> Can anyone get any audio to accompany the streaming Quicktime video at
> http://www.apple.com/trailers? I have never been able to get either FC1
> or FC2 set up to properly play those video streams.
>
> I have installed mplayer* via yum.
>
> The video comes through just fine. There is no sound, however.
>
> I know that it *can* be done on a Linux machine, because I saw the
> trailers with audio playing just fine on my friend's Mandrake 10 box
> that had mplayer, mplayer-gui, and mplayerplugin installed with urpmi.
>
> Now there *are* some video files that play just fine with the audio in
> my Mozilla browser, for example:
>
> http://www.ntk.net/media/dancemonkeyboy.mpg
> http://www.flamingmailbox.com/maccomedy/movies/wincrash.html
>
> So I have the problem narrowed to those in-browser videos that are
> Quicktime streams.
>
> I want to learn how to get my Fedora machines to play them as well as
> the Mandrake machine could!
>
> Thanks,
> Clint

On my limited experience I'll ask this

1/ What sound system do you use alsa/arts/oss/esd

2/ What soundcard do you have

3/ How do you start mplayer

    a/ On the desktop - gmplayer

    b/ In a terminal - mplayer -vo xv -ao *

If you use b/ is there any messages regarding audio on the
terminal/console when the video stops.
Are there any error messages at all on the audio not playing

  david